Sunday, July 14, 2013

Packing light



I am trying to make some harsh choices between gear that I think I'll need and what I actually will.  It's amazing how much everything adds up and while I am not going to be out in the middle of nowhere too often (there is usually a place to do laundry, for example), I'd rather not be wearing the same shirt every day.

Right now, this is the first pack and I am trying to see where I can lighten my gear, realizing that I am probably going to go more than a week without access to laundry while I am in the forest.

Large backpack - Crestrail 70L (70 liter volume)
smaller pack for traveling around - I am borrowing this from a friend.
headlamp
flask for whiskey 
ear plugs 
bug repellent
bathing suit
camping towel - the poly type, nothing else dries, really
Fleece vest
long sleeved fleece (the blue one)
4 cotton t-shirts
3 poly t-shirts
1 long poly t shirt
8 pairs of underwear
8 pairs of socks, including some hiking types
short sleeve adventure shirt
long sleeve adventure shirt
jeans
rain jacket
short with pockets
tech pants - the one that turn into shorts
waterproof pants (for the rain forest part)
tall wellingtons (for the rain forest part)
chaco sandals
hiking boots (I wish I didn't feel like I need to carry so many kinds of shoes)
solar panel
SLR camera & 2 lenses
tablet and charger stuff
Not sure about phone, but may do for music, etc.
toothbrush

No comments:

Post a Comment