Sunday, January 24, 2010

More than making do

I had a great conversation with Amie from the NY Coalition for Healthy School Food the other day about my program and work we might do in the future. My current kitchen is, well, not up to my standards and we have a long list of issues with it. It's a little embarrassing for me to have guests come into our kitchen when:
  • we have no ovens
  • our sinks run only cold water & we have to go into the next room to wash dishes well
  • All of our equipment is electrical and we keep blowing switches all over the room.
  • most everything that we are doing is done with home equipment
That said, the kids are amazing. They:
  • work beautifully together
  • eat up any skills that I can teach them so quickly, it is hard to plan for (this is a very good problem for me, actually)
  • have an excitement for food and learning that has surpassed anything I might have hoped for. I hope that I can deliver more for them.
Amie's comment on this was simple & very supportive. She said that anyone visiting will understand that you are just a teacher that loves food trying to do the best for his kids with what he has. They walk into a lot of situations like this, she said, and the programs still work beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment