Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bus travel, part 2

We're waiting to catch our bus to Quito tonight and then on to mindo,  a ride that might take us 16 hours with the Quito connection.   Gladly,  it looks like we travel into the north terminal,  which will make our connection easier.

A fellow traveler warned us that they would not allow backpacks inside the bus, which means my camera and other more expensive gear would ride below.   I am prepared to argue our way on.  Never mind that there's not much space on these buses for a 6-foot tall person,  I am not going to be worrying about my gear. 

An 8pm bus means a likely 2 movies blasted in Spanish for our "enjoyment, " shut off at midnight until dawn.  I really hope it's a better choice than the tsunami disaster flick we watched on our way to the coast, where a red cross worker actually handed me a pamphlet and a coloring book on what to do if a tsunami hit the coast here.  Trying yo prepared, clearly,  but it helped us to make our decision for a hotel on a hill, I'm sure.

Buses to Quito seem to be much less comfortable than guayaquil-based buses.  A disappointment as we'd pay twice as much for comfort.    Chile, Argentina,  even Peru,  all have much more comfortable buses available for longer hauls.  Not sure why Quito hasn't done that yet, they seem ready for tourism in almost every other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment